Graphic Designer (Experienced)
We are seeking an experienced graphic designer. The ideal candidate will enjoy team work, collaborative creativity, and shared responsibility within a very fast-paced environment. We are a marketing agency serving small business owners in several different industries, and we have been fully virtual since 2008. You can work from your home (the beach, the cafe) and from any time zone ... the only thing that matters is that we show up for each other and our clients, hit our deadlines, and do great work. We prefer this to be a staff position, either a full-time or a two part-time candidates, but will consider contractors.
This position requires someone with experience in commercial graphic design — someone with at least five years experience working for a brand or an agency that serves brands. The work changes constantly and involves designing everything from print ads, flyers, print books and trade show floor graphics to digital ads, banners, social media campaigns, ebooks, and vectors for use in animations.
The desired candidate has strong expertise in the Adobe suite, particularly Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign. But the role is far more than that of an Adobe mechanic. The ideal candidate will also understand how to use color and layout to influence behavior, how to change styles to suit various clients, and the visual design conventions of effective commercial design. We are particularly interested in someone with strong illustration skills.
Finally, the right candidate for our team is someone who is always interested in learning, who is excited about discovering new ways of doing things, who is enthusiastic about mastering new skills and technology, who values the input of teammates, and who is a grown-up who has already mastered self-discipline. If you are confident enough to share your ideas and opinions, if you appreciate and welcome feedback, if you are kind enough to challenge others to do their best in productive and team-building ways, if you are curious enough to want to contribute even in disciplines you may not have tried before, if you really dig other human beings and are looking for a job that you can bring your glorious, unique, creative self to and be welcomed and appreciated for who you are, please apply.
The purpose of this role is to produce a broad range of graphic designs for use in everything from print ads, flyers, print books and trade show floor graphics to digital ads, banners, social media campaigns, ebooks, and vectors for use in animations. We create rich content to build brands for ourselves and our clients, and this work requires substantial visual support.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design conceptual and finished graphics for a variety of print and digital purposes
- Able to manage projects from concept and development of original design ideas to final artwork
- Able to manage multiple projects at a time
- Receptive to feedback — great marketing is a team sport
- Participate in team brainstorming and collaborations to develop concepts
- Ability to understand the needs associated with a project and the target audience for each project
- Study design briefs and determine design requirements
- Identify the best ways to illustrate and communicate marketing messages while using design best practices
- Create designs using the Adobe creative suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign)
- Produce drafts for client review
- Revise and refine designs based on client and/or team feedback
- Review designs for errors before they are printed or published
- Output designs in the proper formats for both digital and analog production and display
- Keep up-to-date with the latest design trends, tools, and technologies
- Understand, support, and contribute to the brand value of clients and our own company
- Demonstrate good knowledge about when to use stock elements and when to produce original elements, based on need, budget, and time.
- Produce original illustrations
Skills & education
- BA or BS in graphic design or related degree desirable, but not required.
- Minimum of five years experience working for a brand or an agency that serves brands. Or, if you can show work that demonstrates commensurate knowledge and skill level, we'll consider you.
- Expert-level skill in Adobe Illustrator
- Proficienct in Adobe Photoshop and InDesign
- Strong creative skills
- Expert knowledge in the visual design conventions of commercial design
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Deadline oriented and organized
- Self-discipline, demonstrated through the ability to meet deadlines and power through obstacles
We know that quality of life for all employees is strongly influenced by our working behavior, both in terms of personal accountability and how we treat one another. We're not looking for any mavericks here. If you love working within a team, if you value the intelligence and creativity of others, if you are able to check your ego at the door, if you are deeply curious about and committed to your craft, if you've achieved a certain amount of humility, we want you.
Interested? Apply now!